Let us Start
Ujjain (Hindi: उज्जैन) pronunciation (help·info) (also known as Ujain, Ujjayini, Avanti, Avantikapuri), is an ancient city of Malwa region in central India, on the eastern bank of the Kshipra River (Hindi: क्षिप्रा), today part of the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is the administrative centre of Ujjain District and Ujjain Division.
In ancient times the city was called Ujjayini. As mentioned in the Mahabharata epic, Ujjayini was the capital of the Avanti Kingdom, and has been the Prime Meridian for Hindu geographers since the 4th century BCE. Ujjain is one of the seven sacred cities (Sapta Puri) of the Hindus, and the Kumbh Mela religious festival is held there every 12 years. It is also home to Mahakaleshwar Jyotirlinga, one of the twelve Jyotirlinga shrines to the god Shiva and is also the place where Lord Krishna got education with Balarama and Sudama from Maharshi Sandipani.
History of Ujjain
The earliest references to the city, as Ujjaini, are from the time of the Buddha, when it was the capital of the Avanti Kingdom. Since the 4th century B.C. the city has marked the first meridian of longitude in Hindu geography. It is also reputed to have been the residence of Ashoka (who subsequently became the emperor), when he was the viceroy of the western provinces of the Mauryan empire.
In the Post-Mauryan period, the city was ruled by the Sungas and the Satavahanas consecutively. It was contested for a period between the Satavahanas and the Ror Sakas (devotees of Shakumbari), known as Western Satraps; however, following the end of the Satavahana dynasty, the city was retained by the Rors from the 2nd to the 4th century CE. Ujjain is mentioned as the city of Ozene in the Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, an antique Greek description of sea ports and trade centers in the western Indian Ocean. Following the enthroning of the Gupta dynasty, the city soon became an important seat in the annals of that empire. Ujjain is considered to be the traditional capital of King Chandragupta II, also known as Vikramaditya, at whose court the nine poets known as the navaratna (nine jewels) of Sanskrit literature are said to have flourished.
In the 6th and 7th centuries, Ujjain was a major centre of mathematical and astronomical research. The famous mathematicians who worked there included: Brahmagupta, whose book Brahmasphutasiddhanta was responsible for spreading the use of zero, negative numbers and the positional number system to Arabia and Cambodia; Varahamihira, who was the first to discover many trigonometric identities; and Bhaskaracharya, or Bhaskara II, whose book Lilavati broke new ground in many areas of mathematics.
Ujjain was invaded by the forces of the Delhi Sultanate led by Iltutmish in 1235, suffering widespread destruction and systematic desecration of temples. Under the Mughal emperor Akbar it became the capital of Malwa. During the last half of the 18th century Ujjain was the headquarters of the Maratha leader Scindia. The Scindias later established themselves at Gwalior, and Ujjain remained part of Gwalior state until Indian Independence in 1947. Gwalior state became a princely state of the British Raj after the Maratha defeat in the Third Anglo-Maratha War, and Gwalior, Ujjain, and the neighboring princely states were made a part of the Central India Agency. After Indian independence, the Scindia ruler of Gwalior acceded to the Indian Union, and Ujjain became part of the Madhya Bharat state. In 1956 Madhya Bharat was merged into the Madhya Pradesh state.
Ancient monuments and tourist sites in Ujjain
Mahakal Temple Ujjain
- The Mahakal Temple, one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, is a famous and venerated Shiva temple. The Shivling in this temple is supposed to be the only Jyotirling which faces south and hence it is known as Dakshinmukhi or the south-facing ling. It is the most popular and important temple of Ujjain. Every year on Shivratri (claimed to be the wedding day of Lord Shiva), there is a huge crowd of devotees for darshan. The same kind of public crowd can be seen in the month of Savaan, Nagpanchami. On every Monday of “Savan”, there is a huge procession for the Lord Shiva idol in the city attended by large numbers of devotees from across the India.
- Mahakal derives its name from “kaal” meaning end of life – death; the word Mahakaal means Lord of Death.
- Sri Sri Radha Madan Mohan Temple, of the ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) or Hare Krishna Movement, also has a guest house and restaurant, and is a major attraction for tourists, though it is very new on the map of Ujjain.
- The temple of Chintaman Ganesh is the biggest ancient temple of Lord Ganesha in Ujjain.
- The temple of Maa Wagheshvari is known for its tall idol of the goddess Wagheshwari and “Sinh (lion) – Dwar (gate)”.
- The Harsidhhi Temple is one of the Shaktipeeth, situated at 52 places in India.
- The Sandipani Ashram is where tradition says Shri Krishna was educated with Balarama and Sudama from Maharshi Sandipani.
- The Siddha Ashram, located between Ramghat and Narshinghat, is known for research in Ayurvedic medicine and Kundalini Shaktipat.
- The Kaliyadeh Palace, located on the north of the city, is one of the palaces belonging to royal Scindia family of Madhya Pradesh.
- The Bharthari caves is an ancient site which has some interesting legends associated with it. It is said that it holds tunnels which lead directly to 4 ancient dhams (char dham). These ways were later shut down by Britishers.
- Canopy (Chhatri or Dewali) of Veer Durgadas Rathore “the Great Warrior and protector of Marwar” at Chakratirth.
- The Observatory (Vedha Shala) built by a Rajput king, Raja Jai Singh II, in the 1720s, is one of the five such observatories in India and features ancient astronomical devices.
- The Prashanti Dham is a holy place, where Sai Baba’s Ashram is situated.
- Jain temples: Jai Singh Pura Atishay Kshetra, Tapobhoomi, Avanti Parshwanath, Hanumant Baag, Manibhadradham Bhairavgarh.
- The Kothi Palace presents a sight worth watching in the evening.
- The Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan museum, located near Chamunda tower, holds many ancient objects.
- The throne of Maharaja Vikramaditya, known as the “seat of judgment (salabanjika throne)” may be located in the Rudra Sagar lake.
- Other temples are Harsidhhi (Durga Temple), Gadh Kalika, Kaal Bhairav, Triveni (Nav Graha Shani Mandir), Mangalnaath, Siddhhanath and Shiv Shakti.
(source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ujjain)Ujjain (Hindi: उज्जैन) pronunciation (help·info) (also known as Ujain, Ujjayini, Avanti, Avantikapuri), is an ancient city of Malwa region in central India, on the eastern bank of the Kshipra River (Hindi: क्षिप्रा), today part of the state of Madhya Pradesh. It is the administrative centre of Ujjain District and Ujjain Division. In ancient times the city ...
What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895…
Remember when grand parents and great-grand parents stated that they only had an 8th grade education?
Well, check this out.
Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?
This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA .
It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina , and reprinted by the Salina Journal.
8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS – 1895
Grammar (Time, one hour)
1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of ‘lie, ‘play,’ and ‘run.’
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6. What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 – 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.
Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. For tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000.. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft.. Long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt
U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of the United States
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton , Bell , Lincoln , Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.
Orthography (Time, one hour)
[Do we even know what this is??]
1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, sub vocals, diphthong, cognate letters, lingual’s
4. Give four substitutes for caret ‘u.’ (HUH?)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final ‘e.’ Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy,
sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks
and by syllabication.
Geography (Time, one hour)
1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia , Odessa , Denver , Manitoba , Hecla , Yukon , St. Helena ,
Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each..
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.
Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.
Gives the saying ‘he only had an 8th grade education’ a whole new meaning, doesn’t it?!
(contributed by : A Mohan Rao on 23.07.2011)What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895… Remember when grand parents and great-grand parents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895? This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina , Kansas , USA . It was ...
1. LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER
2. HELP YOUR MOTHER
3. SMILE AT YOUR MOTHER
4. BE THANKFUL TO YOUR MOTHER FOR WHATEVER SHE DOES FOR YOU
5. SPEND TIME WITH YOUR MOTHER
6. ALWAYS ASK YOUR MOTHER IF YOU CAN HELP HER WITH ANYTHING
7. BUY YOUR MOTHER GIFTS
8. BE GOOD TO YOUR MOTHER’S FAMILY AND FRIENDS
9. STUDY HARD AND LEAD A GOOD LIFE SO THAT YOUR MOTHER IS HAPPY
10. ALWAYS PRAY FOR YOUR MOTHER
(contributed by Balsubramanium Pillai on 30.04.2011)1. LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER 2. HELP YOUR MOTHER 3. SMILE AT YOUR MOTHER 4. BE THANKFUL TO YOUR MOTHER FOR WHATEVER SHE DOES FOR YOU 5. SPEND TIME WITH YOUR MOTHER 6. ALWAYS ASK YOUR MOTHER IF YOU ...
The Day is Coming When Doctors Finally Admit…
“Sorry, Drugs and Insulin Won’t Solve
Your Blood Sugar Problems After All.”
It’s time you knew the real truth: managing blood sugar with drugs or insulin is like
mopping up a flooded floor while the faucet’s still overflowing.
Meds don’t fix the core problem. Studies now show they can make it worse!
Blood sugar drugs work great to keep drug company profits healthy, but as for your
health — well, that’s a different story altogether.
No matter how many meds you take to control it, the complications from high blood
sugar can kill you. Diabetics still die six years earlier than non-diabetics on average, and
they may be the most medicated people on earth!
Here’s Something Else You May Not Know–
It’s Not Just Diabetics Who Should Worry
Today, 1 in 2 Americans suffer the hidden effects of a blood sugar disorder that
carries with it potentially devastating health consequences.
And if you’re overweight or have even slightly elevated blood sugar, I hate to break it to
you: you’re probably one of them.
This metabolic condition, called diabesity, begins with the first signs of insulin
resistance. Ignore it at your peril, because when left untreated it’s the #1 cause of
obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cancer, stroke, dementia, and premature death
Incredibly, most doctors still take a wait-and-see approach when your blood sugar starts
to inch up.
That’s their first mistake….
There’s A Better Way to Restore Your Health and I’m Thrilled to Share it With You…
Now there’s an easy, natural way to reverse high blood sugar — even Type 2 diabetes itself — and actually eliminate the root causes behind your weight gain, fatigue, mental fog, depression, low resistance to colds and flu. No drugs needed. None!
Pounds melt away even if you’ve been overweight for years. Energy soars. It feels like a cloud is lifted from your life.
More importantly, you will finally cut down to size the leading cause of diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and premature death today, in ways no prescription drug can ever match.
Click Here and you can learn all about this natural healing miracle from my good friend and colleague Dr. Mark Hyman, Founder of the famed UltraWellness Center in Lenox, Massachusetts and the world’s leading Functional Medicine pioneer. It’s called:
THE BLOOD SUGAR SOLUTION
The UltraHealthy Program for Losing Weight, Preventing Disease and FeelingGreat Now!
The Blood Sugar Solution is based on some of the most cutting-edge research of our time, but Dr. Hyman makes it simple.
He begins with a series of self-quizzes that let you “look under the hood” and determine which imbalances in your body are causing your blood sugar problems.
The quizzes follow the same proven approach Dr. Hyman uses in his own practice. They’re based on decades of clinical experience with over 10,000 patients. Using them is practically like consulting with the doctor himself.
Your answers then steer you to a personalized set of dietary, lifestyle, and supplementation recommendations that you implement, one at a time, over the course of the 8-week program.
This process roots out and eliminates the hidden causes behind your blood sugar problems. By the time you’re done, you’ll have rebalanced the core systems in your body that will bring about normal blood sugar, ideal weight, and true vitality for life — a state of health Dr. Hyman calls “UltraWellness.”
You don’t just mask symptoms. You create health. Illness, disease and fat go away, practically as a side effect!
If That Sounds Simple, There’s A Good Reason Why: It Is!
One more thing: you can forget everything you’ve been told about “inheriting” your weight problems or high blood sugar. Truth is, you’re not stuck with it.
New genetic research shows that insulin resistance is almost 100% preventable and
curable — even if diabetes has run in your family for generations.
So with The Blood Sugar Solution, you really can…
* Pass every blood sugar test with flying colors, naturally
* Melt away the extra fat and end junk food cravings forever
* Feel years younger with energy that surges through your veins
* Lift your spirits and get off the emotional “roller coaster” for good
* Take a huge step in preventing diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and cancer
* And even eliminate the need for blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure
Just Click Here to be fast-forwarded to the future of
healthy weight loss and perfect blood sugar for life!
* You’ll get the proof of how you can restore healthy blood sugar, reverse diabesity and
even cure Type 2 diabetes without drugs — and without turning your life upside down…
* You’ll learn how you can root out the real causes of your weight gain and disrupted
blood sugar metabolism — and eliminate them at their source…
* You’ll discover the surprisingly few “ingredients” you’ll need to grow healthy — and how
they’ll leave you brimming with health in ways medication can never match.
Frankly, it could be years before the medical establishment catches up with Dr. Hyman’sThe Day is Coming When Doctors Finally Admit… “Sorry, Drugs and Insulin Won’t Solve Your Blood Sugar Problems After All.” It’s time you knew the real truth: managing blood sugar with drugs or insulin is like mopping up a flooded floor while the faucet’s still overflowing. Meds don’t fix the core problem. Studies now show they can make it worse! Blood sugar ...
breakthrough approach to blood sugar problems, and who can afford to wait?