Let us Start
Duct Tape to Remove Warts
In 2002, a group of doctors compared duct tape’s effectiveness with liquid nitrogen in removing warts. After two months of wearing duct tape on a daily basis and using a pumice stone about once a week to exfoliate the dead skin, 85 percent of patients’ warts were gone, whereas freezing only removed 60 percent. “The question is whether there is something in the chemical adhesive itself, or if the occlusion (suffocation) causes the destruction of the wart,” says New York City–based dermatologist, Robin Blum, MD. “The other thinking is that the duct tape causes irritation, which stimulates our body’s immune cells to attack the wart.” Photo: Thinkstock
Vapor Rub to Cure Nail Fungus
While there are no studies to prove coating infected toenails with vapor rub once or twice a day is an effective treatment for nail fungus, a basic Internet search results in a number of personal testaments to the medicinal ointment’s fungus-killing powers. “I’ve heard many patients say that vapor rub does help, but I’m not exactly sure why,” Dr. Blum admits. While some argue it’s the menthol in the balm that kills the fungus and others say it’s the smothering effect of the thick gel, if used consistently, vapor rub has been shown to get rid of not just the fungus, but the infected toenail, too, which will turn black and eventually fall off. When the new nail grows in, it should be fungus-free. Photo: Thinkstock
Oatmeal to Soothe Eczema
“This is absolutely true, as oats have anti-inflammatory properties,” Dr. Blum says. Whether it’s used as a paste or poured into a bath, most experts recommend choosing colloidal (finely ground) oatmeal and soaking the affected area for at least 15 minutes. In addition to reducing inflammation, oats are thought to have an antihistamine effect, Dr. Blum says. By lowering levels of histamine, which triggers inflammation as part of the immune system’s recovery response, she explains, oats prevent or reduce the redness. Photo: Thinkstock
Yogurt to Cure Bad Breath
Bad breath comes from a number of places, the two most common being the mouth and the stomach. The neutralizing powers of yogurt and other probiotics treat the latter cause. “Yogurt shouldn’t have any effect at all on the bacteria that live on the tongue because it’s not there long enough,” says Robert Meltzer, MD, a New York City–based gastroenterologist and attending physician at Lenox Hill Hospital. However, it likely has a neutralizing effect on the acid that resides anywhere between the mouth and the stomach, including the back of the throat and the esophagus, he explains. “I think almost any milk product or food that contains live cultures would have the same effect.” While yogurt can get rid of bad breath that results from gastrological conditions, like acid reflux, it won’t have any real effect on bad breath that is the product of gum, liver or lung disease, says Ohio-based dentist Matthew Messina, DDS. Photo: Thinkstock
A Spoonful of Sugar to Cure Hiccups
In 1971, Edgar Engelman, MD, conducted a study to find out if a spoonful of sugar really is an effective cure for hiccups. He assembled a group of 20 patients who had been experiencing intractable hiccups for more than six hours, eight of whom had had them anywhere from a full day to six weeks. Each of the test subjects was given one teaspoon of white granulated sugar to swallow dry, and for 19 of the 20 hiccup patients, the cure was immediate. André Dubois, MD, a gastroenterologist in Bethesda, Maryland, noted in The Doctors Book of Home Remedies that “the sugar is probably acting in the mouth to modify the nervous impulses that would otherwise tell the muscles in the diaphragm to contract spasmodically.” Photo: iStockphoto
Bite a Pencil to Cure a Headache
While doctors aren’t sure why we do it, clenching our teeth is a common side effect of stress. According to Fred Sheftell, MD, director of the New England Center for Headache in Stamford, Connecticut, when we clench up, we strain the muscle that connects the jaw to the temples, which can trigger a tension headache. By placing a pencil between our teeth—but not biting down—we relax our jaw muscles, which eradicates tension and reduces pain. Just remember, the remedy really only applies to tension headaches—not migraines or headaches caused by sinus pressure, etc. Photo: Thinkstock
Olives for Motion Sickness
According to the National Library of Medicine, there are a number of symptoms that present themselves as a result of motion sickness, including increased salivation, which is the body’s way of protecting the teeth from the high doses of acid accompanied by vomit. Enter olives, which contain tannins that, when released in the mouth, work to dry saliva—first eliminating the symptom and then the body’s instinct to follow suit. However, the treatment is only effective during the early stages of nausea, when the salivation changes first appear. Photo: Thinkstock
Gargle Salt Water for a Sore Throat
When you were a kid and had a sore throat, your mom likely made you gargle warm water with salt in it…and she was definitely on to something. According to Douglas Hoffman MD, PhD, author of the website The Medical Consumer’s Advocate, a sore throat is an inflammatory response of the infected tissues, and the salt helps draw out the excess fluid to temporarily decrease swelling and the pain it causes. Most remedies call for a ratio of 1 tablespoon salt to 8 ounces of water, but it’s always better to opt for more salt rather than less. Just keep in mind that you are treating the symptoms—not the illness. As Dr. Hoffman notes on his website: “The relief is very real, but also tends to be short-lived, since the gargle has done nothing to remove the cause of the sore throat.” Photo: Thinkstock
Read more: Health Tips – Home Remedies That Work at WomansDay.com – Woman’s Day
(source: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/653uBq/www.womansday.com/health-fitness/8-home-remedies-that-actually-work-115675/)Duct Tape to Remove Warts In 2002, a group of doctors compared duct tape’s effectiveness with liquid nitrogen in removing warts. After two months of wearing duct tape on a daily basis and using a pumice stone about once a week to exfoliate the dead skin, 85 percent of patients’ warts were gone, whereas freezing only ...
(contributed by: Mohan Rao on 26.10.2011)(contributed by: Mohan Rao on 26.10.2011)
Most ‘First Class’ students get technical seats, some become Doctors and some Engineers.
The ‘Second Class’ pass, and then pass MBA, become Administrators and control the ‘First Class’.
The ‘Third Class’ pass, enter politics and become Ministers and control both.
Last, but not the least, The ‘Failures’ join the underworld and control all the above.
Howz’ that ??? 🙂
(contributed by : Kapil Bamba on 03.03.2011)
A man was carrying 2 babies, one in each arm, while waiting for a train.
A woman upon seeing those 2 cute babies asked the man, “Aren’t they cute, what are their names?”
The man giving the lady an angry look replied, “I don’t know.”
The lady then asked, Are they boys or girls?”
The man looking angrier than before replied “I don’t know.”
The woman then started to scold the man, “What kind of a father are you?”.
The man replied, “I am not their father, I am just a condom salesman and these are the 2 complaints that I am taking back to my company.”
(source: userr amr on 29.08.2016)
- A hero is to brave an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. A humble man is like a good tree – the more full of fruit the branches are the more they bend down.
- A problem well stated is a problem half solved. Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has ordained that you shall live.
- An opportunist is man who, finding himself is hot water, decides to take a bath. An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? (Many an optimist has become rich simply by buying out a pessimist.)
- As long as i have a want, i have a reason for living. Satisfaction is death. Ask advice of your equals, help of your superiors.
- Bad monay drives out good money out of circulation. Be brave, be brave, man dies but once.
- Between optimist and pessimist the difference is droll. The Optimist sees the doughnut the pessimist sees the hole. Victory has a hundred fathers but defeat is an orphan.
- Choose time to save. To create a little flower is the labour of ages.
- Do something for the benefit of others without any selfish motive, work is worship. You won’t win, if you don’t begin.
- Fame is but the breath of the people, and that often unwholsome. Good manners are the techniques of expressing consideration for the feelings of others.
- Fortune makes a fool of him whom she favours too much. from the errors of others a wise man corrects his own.
- Great mind must be ready not only to take the opportunities, but else to make them. Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
- Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Lost time is never found again.
- He who commences many things finishes but few. He who would climb the ladder must begin at at he bottom.
- Hope is independent of the apparatus of logic. How doth the little bee, improve each shining hour. And gather honey all the day from every opening flower.
- Hope is the most treacherous of human fancies. Ignorance and absence of discipline are the cause of man’s troubles.
- I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. If you want to get along, go along.
- I like work, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours, i love to keep it by me, the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart. If you do not want to work you should not eat too.
- If you are already on the top be careful the place is very slippery. All ambitions are good except those which climb upward on the miseries of the humankind.
- If you want milk you should not sit yourself on a stool in the middle of a field in the hope that the cow will be coming to you.
- If you wish to reach the highest begin at the lowest. If you want to create something, you must be something.
- Keep your fears to yourself; share your courage with others. Know the true Value of time; snatc, seice and enjoy every moment of it. No, no laziness, no procrastination: never put off till tomorrow what you can do today.
- Most men fail, not through lack of education, but from lack of dogged determination, from lack of dauntless will. No great man lived in vain. The history of the world is but the biography of great men.
- No one reaches a high position without daring. Nothing is so contagious as enthusiasm. It moves stones, it charms brutes. Enthusiasm is the genius of sincerity and truth accomplishes no victory without it.
- No pain, no palm; no thorns, no glory; no cross, no crown. No sweet, no sweet.
- Not failure, but low aim, is crime. Nothing great is created suddenly, any more than a bunch of grapes or a fig. If you tell me that desire a fig, I answer you that there must be time. Let it first blossom, then bear fruit, then ripen.
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one time.
- Our mind is like a garden which can either be intelligently cultivated or be allowed to run wild.
- Pay attention to your enemies, for they are the first to discover your mistakes. People should think out and not accept conventional terms and the conventional way of doing things.
- Pennies do nit come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth.
- People seldom see the halting and painful steps by which the most significant success is achieved.
- Perseverance is not a long race; it comprises many short races one after another.
- Plant your words where profit lies: Whiter cloth takes faster dyes.
- Politeness goes far, yet costs nothing. Poverty and wealth, both are sins.
- Poverty is not a shame but being ashamed of it is.
- Pray the success will not come any faster than you are able to endure. When you start crowing you stop growing.
- Prayer needs no speech. Prayers and provender hinder no man’s journey.
- Pride ruined the angels. Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.
- Progress is the law of life man is not man as yet. Prosperity can change man’s nature, it is difficult to resist the effects of good fortune.
- Prosperity is a great teacher; adversity is a greater. Possession pampers the mind. Privation trains and strengthens it. Prosperity makes friends and adversity tries them.
- Remember that great achievements involve great risks. Remember, no one make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Resolve not to be poor: whatever you have, spend less. Poverty is a great enemy to human happiness; it certainly destroys liberty, and it makes some virtues impracticable and others extremely difficult.
- Smile is little, Help a little, Push a little, The world needs you.
- Success depends on previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure. Success is often the result of taking a wrong in the right direction.
- Success is a public affair, failure is a private funeral. Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.
- Success is the realization of the estimate you place upon yourself. Success really brings satisfaction.
- Successful action tends to become an end in itself. Take care of the minutes: for hours will take care of themselves.
- The hardest things to handle in life are failure and success. The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to obstruct them.
- The line between failure and success is so fine that we scarcely know when we pass it, so thin that we are often on the line and do not know it. The man who makes no mistake does not usually make anything.
- The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.
- The past, the present and the future are really one – they are today. The percentage of error will multiply the longer you deliberate.
- The powers of the mind are like the rays of the sun dissipated. When they are concentrated, they illuminate. The secret of success is constancy is purpose.
- The secret of a good memory is attention, and attention to a subject depends upon our interest in it. We rarely forget that which has made a deep impression on our minds. The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.
- There are Painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, thanks, to their art and intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
- There are people who will always come up with reasons why you can’t do what you want to do. Ignore them and forget them. There is no defense, except stupidity, against the impact of a new idea.
- There are two kinds of failures: those who thought and never did, and those who did and never thought.
- There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. There is no success without hardship.
- There never was such beauty as in you. Nature made you. and then broke the mould. To achieve great things we must live as through we were never going to die.
- Think of the world as a hill, and mark where the millions stop. There’s always a crown at the bottom, Push on – there’s always plenty of room at the top.
- Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one’s thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.
- Those in this world who have the courage to try and solve new problems of life are the ones who raise society to greatness. Those who merely live according to rule do not advance society, they carry it along.
- Those who hesitate have lost the chance. Throughout my life i have gained more from my critic friends than from my admires.
- Troubles in the journey of life are like the hills which alarm travelers on the road. Both appear great at a distance, but when we approach them we find they are far less insurmountable then we had conceived.
- What is the recipe for successful achievements? To my mind there are just four essential ingredients. Choose a career you love. Give it the best there in you seize your opportunities, and be a member of the team.
- When all else is lost, the future still remains. When you are sure it’s good enough. Try to improve it.
- Where the river is deepest it makes least noise. Sometimes it is more important to discover what one cannot do, then what one can do.
- Who dares nothing, needs hope for nothing. Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is.
- Work a little, Wait a little, Hope a little, And don’t get blue.
(ecerpts from Book Achievements by Jain)A hero is to brave an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. A humble man is like a good tree – the more full of fruit the branches are the more they bend down. A problem well stated is a problem half solved. Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has ...